Friday, November 04, 2011

Tell Edfu blog - "Adventures of newbie archaeologist"

Janelle In Egypt

Thanks to Stuart Tyler for sending me the link for Janelle's blog. She started it back in July with all the preparatory work for an October/November season working at Tell Edfu and has been updating it ever since. Her experiences make great reading and are a great compliment to the official Tell Edfu blog. Here's an excerpt the introductory post from back in July.

Fall quarter this year (October-December 2011), I will be joining my very first archaeological dig! The project is in Edfu, Egypt (the project website can be found here). Since this is the first time I've ever been in a foreign country for longer than a few weeks, let alone on a dig, I thought a blog would be a perfect way to keep everyone informed! Internet access is spotty, with only one person at a time being aloud on our rather shaky connection. However, I hope to blog as often as I can, even if it means writing my posts in word and posting in bulk every few days.

The lead on the project is my adviser, so I'm not jumping into this completely blind (plus, Dan and I visited the site on our honeymoon!). I'll also have at least 3 other girls that I know coming with me. We'll be meeting a couple of my adviser's friends for a few weeks at a time throughout the season (including one of my old professors who now lives in Copenhagen), so it won't just be us UofCers all the time. For the most part, I'll be drawing pottery.

No comments: